Wednesday, September 28, 2011

It's Been Awhile...

I've been a total slacker with keeping up this blog.  Life has been insane, and while yes, we still have to eat, I haven't been able to find the energy or brain power to blog about it.  However, I promised my friend Janet that I would update this site (at LEAST three weeks ago!), so Janet, this one's for you!  :)

Tonight I made a variation of Ginger Chicken on Jalapeno Corn Slaw.  The recipe looked delicious, and though we didn't have any cole slaw around, we had everything else, so I decided to go for it.  I marinated the chicken true to the recipe, but cooked it inside because I didn't have the energy to start up the grill.  For the slaw, I shredded some carrots with a little bit of Vidalia onion (omitted the cabbage since we didn't have any), used a whole jalapeno instead of the half that the recipe called for.  I also added a little salt and pepper, although it would have been just fine without. 

Here is the final product:


One thing I will say is that there is absolutely no substitute for fresh ginger.  We keep a bulb (?? drawing a blank here...) of it in the freezer and grate as needed.  It gives the chicken a really nice kick and balances nicely with the honey.  And oh man, that corn salsa/slaw is AMAZING!  The sesame oil really brings out the sweetness of the corn and carrots (I don't even know that I would use cabbage in this if I made it again, though broccoli slaw would be good in this) and the jalapenos gave some good flavor without a ton of heat.  Plus, it's got cilantro in it, so how bad can it really be?

That's about all I've got for now.   I know you were all waiting with bated breath for this post; I can only hope that it lived up to your expectations.  I promise it won't be so long between posts next time. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, I can finally let my breath out :) That looks great and I have never had corn slaw before, but must say, it looks DELICIOUS. I must get the recipe - Jim loves jalapenos so he would love this as well.

    I do understand about finding the energy and desire to post anything on a blog because I am just now getting back to it after being off for a month or two, but glad you got this one up. I'll see you soon.

    ReplyDelete