Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I Heart Quiche

I love quiche.  I could eat it every day and never get sick of it.  It's got all of my favorite flavor combinations:  salty, sweet, savory, rich...what's not to like?!  Home alone, I was left to my own devices for dinner.  Ordinarily, I wouldn't bother cooking, I'd just kind of graze throughout the evening.  I really hate cooking for just myself for some reason.

I was on FaceBook when I got home from work this evening, and my friend Cori had posted a recipe for a quick quiche, without the pie crust.  Side note:  I really don't care to bake; it's too exact for my liking.  I'd prefer to just throw stuff together and see how it comes out.  I cheat and buy the frozen pie crusts.  Anyway, I checked out the recipe and lo and behold, I had all of the ingredients! 

I decided to suck it up and bake myself a quiche; besides, it makes for excellent leftovers.  An hour later, I was graced with this beauty:



One of the things I like best about making a quiche is its versatility.  You can throw in virtually any combination of meat, cheese, and/or veggies, and it tastes fantastic hot or cold.  For this particular version, I used bacon, Swiss cheese, baby Vidalia onions, and thyme.  For those of you who live down South and have access to baby Vidalias (I got mine at the farmers market, for anyone in the Cola area), please do yourself a favor and buy some.  The flavor is so sweet, and they're absolutely wonderful raw or cooked.  

This combination was wonderful; it had the sweetness of the onions, the smoky saltiness of the bacon, and the nutty Swiss cheese rounded it all out nicely.  I'm classifying this as relatively healthy, due to the lack of crust.  That's my story, anyway, and I'm sticking to it!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I love quiche, with or without a crust. I haven't tried one with swiss cheese, so please pass on this recipe - it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Janet, here's the recipe for the quiche I made the other night. Hope you enjoy it!
    * 8 slices bacon
    * 4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
    * 2 tablespoons butter, melted
    * 4 eggs, beaten
    * 1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I used baby Vidalias)
    * 1 tablespoon (ish) fresh thyme leaves
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1 1/2 cups milk

    1. Cook the bacon in a skillet until crispy, crumble and set aside.
    2. Preheat oven to 350*, Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan, or 8x8 baking dish.
    3. Line bottom of pie plate with cheese and crumbled bacon. Combine eggs, butter, onion, salt, flour and milk; whisk together until smooth; pour into pan.
    4. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, until set. Serve hot or cold.

    ReplyDelete